The New Testament is clear that the church is to be led by a plurality of godly leaders (1 Peter 5:1-4; Acts 20:28). These leaders are to use their wisdom, discernment and shepherding gifts to ensure the church remains on a true course Biblically. Scripture indicates that the ultimate spiritual decision-making authority in the church rests with these Godly leaders.
In the Bible, such leaders were referred to as “Elders.” The primary purpose of Elders at Damascus Road Fellowship is to devote their attention to the spiritual well-being of the members, the biblical accuracy of our ministries, and the spiritual maturity of the Body of Christ called Damascus Road Fellowship. The Elders are responsible to ensure the organizational structure of the Church is in keeping with Scriptural principles and is an efficient and effective means of carrying out the vision and purpose of the Church. Changes may be made to the organizational structure by the Elders provided those changes do not require a change in the Constitution or By-Laws.
The following are qualifications to serve as an Elder:
- Must be male
- Must be a spiritually maturing follower of Jesus Christ
- Must be a member of the Church
- Must be keeping covenant commitments faithfully
- Must be in agreement with the Church’s Statement of Faith
- Must be striving to meet the qualifications in 1Timothy 3:2-7 and Titus 1:6-9
- Must be twenty-five (25) years or older.
Damascus Road currently has 2 serving Elders.